A Must-Buy Small Car or Merely a Mirage?
By Craig Cole
- Engine: 1.2-liter inline-three
- Output: 78 horsepower, 74 lb-ft torque
- Transmission: Continuously variable automatic
- Fuel Economy (MPG): 37 city, 43 highway, 39 combined
- Fuel Economy (L/100 km): 6.4 city, 5.5 highway, 6.0 combined
- US Base Price: $13,830 including $835 in delivery fees
- US As-Tested Price: $17,330 including $835 in delivery fees
- CDN Base Price (ES): $14,148 including $1,450 Freight & PDI
- CDN Fully Loaded Price (SEL): $19,748 including $1,450 Freight & PDI
Sir Isaac Newton’s three laws may govern the physical universe but there’s a fourth unbreakable rule that has just as much if not more of an impact on our daily lives: You get what you pay for.
Subsisting off fast-food dollar-menus is nothing if not a false economy that’s sure to come with pricey health consequences down the road. Likewise, don’t expect to find a pristine, low-mileage Toyota FJ cruiser kicking around for pocket change. If you do happen to come across such a “gem” it’s probably been inundated by at least two hurricanes or had its wiring harness gnawed to tatters by a family of off-roading raccoons.